Monday, June 3, 2013

Run for the Dream Race Recap

The Run for the Dream 8k was held in historic Williamsburg at the College of William & Mary to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and An Achievable Dream.  The Wounded Warrior Project is one of my favorite charities, and I was really excited to be running for such a great cause with our Crossfit team.


Before the start of the race, Dave McGillivray, the race director of the Boston Marathon, gave a very moving speech about the bombings.  He said that his young son was at the finish line when it happened and his son later told him that he didn't want him directing the race anymore.  When he asked why, the son said because he wanted to direct it.  Running spirit, yo!

Normally, I don't really get nervous about races, but I did have my doubts that I would be able to finish this one.  Five miles isn't all *that* long, but I hadn't done any longish runs since I tore my meniscus last summer.  Not to mention it was already 75 degrees an hour before the race started.  I told my fellow Crossfitter, Cory, that I would run with him since he was a little worried about the race, too.

That worked for about 2 miles. 

I lost Cory.

Actually, I think Cory decided he didn't want to run with me anymore and was hiding, but either way, he was next to me one minute and gone the next.  I looked for him for a minute, then kept running.  I caught up with Coach Heather and her husband, Chris, and ran with them for a bit.  Heather hurt her leg last month and still finished the race.  Meanwhile, Chris was prancercising.  

The single best part of the race was when I passed Team Wounded Wear at mile 4.  The team was a group of soldiers in full gear carrying a "fallen soldier" for the entire race.  They were so inspiring that runners were stopping to cheer for them.


I went in to the race without a set goal.  I mean, I hoped to finish in under an hour, but since I had planned to run with Cory, I wasn't trying to beat the Garmin.  Surprisingly, I finished in 58:35, and that included Cory's potty break at mile 1.  Less than a 12:00 min/mi pace in 80 degree weather... I'll take it. 

Shortly after I finished, Louis Lodovico, the oldest runner in the race came across the finish line.  He is 89 and finished in 5 miles in 1:03:34.  How amazing is that?  When I grow up, I want to be just like him!  


The race, itself, was great.  The volunteers were friendly and the course was full of locals cheering us on.  Lots of food and beer was available after the race.  The BBQ alone was worth the race fee.  The bling wasn't bad, either.  




No comments:

Post a Comment