Monday, April 12, 2010

Hello, 5 AM

As I was lying in bed this morning, I was mentally writing today’s post. It started something like this:

“I feel like a failure. My workout clothes are neatly laid out, my shoes are at the door, and my iPod is charged, but I just can’t do it. I can’t get dressed and go run. I’m tired. It’s early. I didn’t sleep well. The baby was up less than an hour ago to nurse. It’s cold. It’s dark. I’ll do it tonight.”

Screw that. I got up, put my shoes on, and ran.

It wasn’t long. It wasn’t fast. It wasn’t far. But I did it.

The feeling of accomplishing something, something that is hard and that most people don’t do (I mean, really… how many runners are out there at 5:00 AM compared to 5:00 PM?), is so much better than an extra 9 minutes of sleep.

Hello, 5:00 AM. I kicked your ass today. See you Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment