1 eggplant, about 1 lb, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp dry basil
2 cups marinara
1 cup feta cheese
1. Mix milk and eggs in a small bowl. Mix wheat germ, parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper in a second bowl.
2. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then coat both sides in the wheat germ mixture.
3. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Eggplant should be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
4. Add red pepper to the marinara and warm over low medium heat.
5. Top eggplant with marinara and feta cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Vegetarian Cooking for Today (1993).